March 27-28 truth-in-recruiting networking calls
Truth-in-recruiting efforts present "the rest of the story" to young people who are thinking about joining the military, but who may not know all their rights or options. At its best, it combines an emphasis on limiting the access of military recruiters to our communities with presenting positive alternatives to young people and helping them find a life with meaning -- not in the military.
To find out more, please visit:
Every six to eight weeks, On Earth Peace sponsors conference calls for individuals and groups who are doing truth-in-recruitment organizing, or who want to get started. Since April 2005, more than 75 people have participated. Last month's calls connected 13 people from seven states, from coast to coast.
Can you join us for this month's calls?
A) Tuesday, March 27, 7:00-8:30PM EASTERN
B) Wednesday, March 28, 1:00-2:30PM EASTERN
The calls' purposes are 1) to learn from each other and grow in strategic reflection about our work, 2) to join together for inspiration and spiritual support, and 3) to strengthen the truth-in-recruiting movement as a whole by increasing our connections with each other.
Our calls are especially focused on supporting those working from the basis of Christian faith, although all are warmly welcomed to participate. On Earth Peace is the peace education and action agency of the Church of the Brethren.
The March 2007 calls will feature:
(1) a chance to share and hear stories with other organizers around the country,
(2) Christian theological reflection on counter-recruitment,
(3) highlights of recent resources and new developments in the truth-in-recruiting movement, and
(4) reflection on themes and common challenges that emerge from the call,
(5) the explanation of one strategy tool you can use in your work. [This month's tool is a way to think outside the box to identify possible allies for your organizing].
There will be eight slots available for each call. We have found it's best to limit the number of participants in order to deepen the sharing and conversation that can take place.
Please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org to join this month's calls!
Coordinator of Peace Witness
On Earth Peace ~ www.onearthpeace.org
Peace Minister, Living Peace Church of the Brethren